10.9.10

meaning & life

Last night a someone said to me: "I know you, you are searching for meaning in life, that is sweet."
I responded: "No, I have found meaning in life. There is a difference."

I am no longer a seeker.
I have sought and I have found.

So one of my best friends, Andy Canales, asked me "what is the meaning of life"?

This is my response:

Wow Andy, big question. That question can mean a couple of things: a) what is the point of life? why are we here? what is this all about? the answer to that is of course 42.

However, the important question for people, finite beings with limited power, resources, and intellect is b) what is the meaning of MY life? the answer to that it of course: whatever meaning you give it.

The meaning I strive to give my life is this: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments." Matthew 22: 37-40. 

Of course you could say that this is the goal (i.e. meaning) that every man and woman is born for. However it would be incorrect to ascribe this meaning to those who do not choose it.

If you choose for your life to have no meaning, then it won't. If you choose for your life to be about personal pleasure or gain, then that will be it's meaning.

Trascendance isn't obligatory.

That is why the real question is "What is the meaning of my life?" and not "what is the meaning of life?"

No comments: